Hi guys! Happy New Year! I hope everyone was able to find a bit of joy during the holidays. To anyone whose holidays were subpar, welcome to 2019 – now we start fresh.
Speaking of starting fresh, there are a lot of new faces around here, and I wanted to ring in the new year by sharing a bit about myself. In honor of 2k19, here are 19 things you may (or may not) know about me!
19 Things You May Not Know About Me
- I was born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago! I moved to California three years ago for my job and I’ve missed Chicago and its UNBEATABLE (don’t even come at me, New York) pizza every day since! 🙂 I think I appreciate Chicago more now that I don’t live there, but it’s honestly such an amazing city: warm people, good food, and seasons – who can ask for more?!
- I’m 100% Lebanese! My dad immigrated to the U.S. when he was in his 20’s. I speak Arabic almost fluently, and I’m very picky about my hummus.
- I’ve worked in entertainment my whole life. I grew up doing community theater, then pursued Musical Theater in college before transferring back home to Columbia College to finish my degree in media management. I’ve worked/interned at ABC, The View, The Voice, and Harpo in Chicago.
- I’m a writer by trade. After switching majors, I decided to pursue writing. I switched from live TV to scripted and worked on FOX’s hit EMPIRE and several other pilots. I signed with my agent and manager a year after moving to LA.
- I love writing for other blogs, too! I’ve been published in Entrepreneur, Huffington Post, and The Everygirl!
- This past year, I married my high school sweetheart! We didn’t date in high school – we actually didn’t start dating until college. But I had a major crush on him all throughout high school, and now I get to call him my husband. How’s that for persistence?!
- I’m obsessed with Chipotle. If you’re ever looking for me and Mike, chances are, you can find us at Chipotle. It’s the restaurant we can both agree on (I’m vegetarian, and he’s definitely not) and we both LOVE it.
- But I HATE cilantro. Anyone else?! I’ve heard it’s genetic, which wouldn’t surprise me – my mom, my cousins, and my aunts/uncles can’t stomach it either. Don’t even try to tell me that cilantro is parsley – I will know the difference!
- This past October, Mike and I adopted a puppy! We love our little Millie (aka MillPill, aka MilliePoo, aka The Pill, aka Mill the Pill, aka MillaPoo). She is a RASCAL and a ball of love and we wouldn’t have it any other way.
- Oh, and I started a business! Introducing, The Kind Coalition! This past June, Mike and I got married in Grand Cayman. When we got back, I was so disheartened by our tense social climate, I knew I wanted to contribute something more than my biting opinions. Instead, I partnered with three amazing anti-bullying nonprofits and started a clothing and home goods company with a focus on kindness – 50% of our profits will be donated to support the initiatives of these amazing organizations.
- I absolutely love decorating and fidgeting with my home. I’m not always great at it, but I absolutely love fiddling with my home decor and following other amazing interior design blogs for inspo!
- My mom is my best friend. I’m so lucky to have a mom who has always kept it real with me. She’s the coolest woman around, and I can say that objectively because when my friends are in town, they visit her instead of me!!
- My dream vacations are Thailand, Greece, and the Italian Coast. They all look exotic and dreamy in their own ways! Has anyone been? If so, leave your travel guides in the comments!
- The first concert I ever went to was NSYNC. Where are my 90’s girls at!? And then – get this – Mike surprised me with INSANELY amazing tickets to see JT’s Man of the Woods tour this past April. I felt like I was 10 all over again.
- I can not stand silk or satin. I think it’s a weird sensory thing, but silk and satin makes me nauseous!
- I’m passionate about helping other people pursue their passions. I love helping people to realize their strengths and pursue their dreams. I believe that one day at a time is key, and everyone has something to contribute. The most important thing is learning to cultivate your unique worldview and communicate it clearly. I’m always, always up for discussing career strategy – DM me.
- My favorite musical is Les Miserables. If you haven’t seen it, run, don’t walk. It’s amazing.
- I make a MEAN pumpkin bread. It’s actually not my recipe – but you can find it here. It wins hearts and minds every fall.
- Passion and curiosity. If I have kids one day, these are the two qualities I hope to impart to them. Curiosity opens doors; passion sees you through.