You guys – today is a very special day. It’s my mom’s birthday! Anyone who knows my mom knows that she’s pretty much the coolest human being ever. I’m serious – my friends would come over to visit HER during college breaks – they couldn’t have cared less whether I was there or not! 🙂
She’s taught me so much, it’s really hard for me to narrow in on the most important lessons, but I would say these are the top three that come to mind:
- Happiness follows gratitude, and not the other way around
- Love doesn’t always mean knowing the right thing to say, but being willing to share in someone’s unknown
- There’s very little that some good cheese can’t solve
I’ve always been an ambitious person. At nine, I was determined to be the next Brittany Spears. At 13, a broadway star. At 20, a television producer. And a miscellaneous entrepreneur along the way. Whenever I would come to my mom with my latest idea, she would (and still does) listen attentively, ask thoughtful questions, and tell me to go for it. She never once squashed my creativity or hope, and that alone makes her a little bit of magic. If I can be half of the mom she is, I will have succeeded.
In honor of her birthday, I’m sharing her DELICIOUS and AUTHENTIC hummus recipe! You guys – this is the real deal. I’m linking all of the tools you’ll need at the bottom of this post, as well! If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you – tag your pics with #VickiKnowsHummus!
what you’ll need
- A Cuisinart (or a blender…but the cuisinart creates a smoother consistency)
- A lemon squeezer
- One 16 oz can Progresso chick peas (we also like Bush)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic (this is to taste – we like it extra garlicky!)
- Juice of one small lemon
- 4 tablespoons Aklanater Tahini paste (THIS BRAND IS ESSENTIAL!!! TAHINI MAKES OR BREAKS HUMMUS!!!)
- Salt to taste
- Drain chickpeas, but save the chickpea juice
- In the Cuisinart, add chickpeas, 1/4 cup of chickpea juice, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, and salt, and blend
- If the consistency isn’t smooth, add the chick pea juice two tablespoons at a time
- Add salt, lemon or garlic to taste!!
Chef’s note: You guys, the tahini really makes all of the difference. Take a second and buy this brand – you won’t regret it (and no – this isn’t sponsored!)