Where are my soup lovers?! On an average day, soup doesn’t do it for me (unless it’s this Tuscan White Bean Soup I shared a few weeks back!). I much prefer to chew my food, if I’m being honest. I find it way more satisfying. There’s something about the winter months, though, where I forget that. All I want is an oversized mug of soup, a blanket, and some huge fuzzy slippers. Also, a broken alarm clock. 🙂
It has been raining non-stop in SoCal, and all of a sudden, I found my self specifically craving tomato basil soup. I have no idea why, honestly – I didn’t grow up eating it. But grilled cheese and tomato soup sounded like just what the doctor ordered. I experimented with a recipe I found and doctored it up to my liking.
Mike and I LOVE spicy foods, so this recipe adds in chili flakes, but you can just as easily remove them! Without further ado – spicy tomato basil soup!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup water
- 6 tomatoes on the vine, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in onions, carrots, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and minced garlic. Sautee until the onions are translucent.
- Add veggie brother and water and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix in the tomatoes and cook for another ten minutes
- Using a blender or hand-mixer, puree mixture until smooth
- Stir in basil and parsley and simmer for another ten minutes
- Add flour, stirring to dissolve.
- Stir in half and half, chili flakes, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a side of grilled cheese!!